- This is a sponsored post.
Do you know anyone that suffers from seasonal allergies? The majority of these people usually spend a lot of their time indoors however it’s important to make sure that your living space and your work environment are as allergy friendly as possible. Carpets are not allergy friendly when it comes to trying to make your home comfortable. They attract dust, pet and human hairs, small critters, pollen, and dirt that can really trigger some intense allergic reactions for those that suffer.
If you suffer from allergies both indoor and outdoor, there are certain types of flooring that you’ll want to have within your home as well as your work environment. Look for allergy- friendly flooring options including brands that emit lower amounts of VOCs. Here are a few below that can be of help.
- Dust Mites Don’t Live On Wood Surfaces – When you have dust mites they can’t be seen with the naked eye. They are small microscopic bugs that live in household dust areas. Their life expectancy is only a few months but their droppings that they produce in the dust are what many people are allergic too. They live within the carpet flooring. When you decide to go with a hardwood floor instead of carpet, there isn’t any place for them to hide and thrive. Don’t be surprised if your allergies might slowly disappear.
- Don’t Need To Be Replaced Often – Depending on what type of carpet you have in your home, it’s recommended that you replace it every 5 to 15 years. Other than that there are lots of factors that can lead to it needing to be replaced sooner than later. If you have kids, spilling things will happen and stain your carpet, and might even mold if they aren’t cleaned properly. Pets can also be a culprit of any tears or wear in the carpet by tracking in dirt or other things from the outside. If you have hardwood floors, it can last for decades with the proper maintenance.
Image: Brazilian Wood Depot
3. Specific Hardwood – When it comes to finding the type of wood floors for your home, there is one that stands out above the rest. A highly recommended business that specializes in hardwood is called Brazilian Wood Depot. The company is located in Atlanta and it’s an ideal company to work with because they are able to receive lumber shipped in a cost-effective port. The lumber they choose are a sustainable Ipe wood. This lumber are extremely heavy hardwood and shipped to reach you in excellent condition. Unlike other tropical hardwood, these are naturally insect resistant. Dometic lumber is treated with chemicals to deter wood boring insects. Because these evolve in forest with insects much more proficient at wood boring than North American trees. Very few insects in their natural habitat are capable of infiltrating their tough wood fibers.
4. Easier To Clean – One of the most effective ways to clean your carpet is to steam it and that can be not only a pain but also costly. This is especially true if you have carpet throughout your entire home. Although vacuuming your carpet is a great thing to do weekly to help get rid of the dust mist, debris and other things that might get strapped in between the fibgers, there really is no way to be sure that you got everything out. On the other hand, if you hardwood floors, it doesn’t take much time to properly maintain and clean them with wood floor cleaner, vacuum and have them ready to gleam and shine.
5. Harmful Fumes – Not only can a lot of dirt get caught up in your carpet when you have it within your home but fumes can also get trapped in there as well. These fumes such as smoke can get trapped in your carpet if you have someone that smokes. Children who are learning to crawl along your floor will have increased exposure to these germs, bacteria and second hand smoke within your home. This is something that should be addressed as soon as possible.
When it comes to your home or apartment, you want to be able to enjoy it as comfortably as you can. If you are an allergy suffer, it makes no sense to put yourself through this every day when you could be sleeping and interacting better if you just took the carpet out and replaced it with hardwood. Having hardwood will assist you in feeling your best, enjoy hosting friends and family and sleep better thanks to not worrying as much about cleaning, replacing or any harmful fumes that could trigger your allergies.